Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Shoe Sale

I came to a point in my career where I have to think of where I want to go. I love where I am right now and I'll be a customer service rep for 4 years this coming May 8. If that wasn't enough of a proof that I love my job, I don't know what will. But with everything going on with our group, there was an opportunity I wanted to try out. I didn't decide right away that I wanted to take it, so I needed a little push. It was a scary first step and I delayed it for a week, but when I finally decided to submit that form, I knew there was no backing out. I didn't expect it to move this fast though. I submitted my form on a Tuesday and had my first interview last Friday. It went very well as far as I can remember. The manager was able to lay out to me what she envisions for her team and I suddenly realized I wanted to be a part of it. The job itself, as described to me, was scary and nerve-wrecking, but all of us experience that. After the talk, I knew whatever I was looking for was with them. It may sound harsh and unfair, but I finally found what I was looking for. There was only one other time I felt that unexplainable ease and it was when I took the job in Sykes. As I mentioned before, that wasn't the job I wanted, but that female intuition I got pushed me to pursue the job offer and I never regretted it.

Deciding my next career move is like choosing what shoe I will buy. Either I buy the flats for comfort, or the pumps for statement. I can never choose both. I always find myself in a mess if I try to meet both functions half-way. It's always one or the other. I can never compromise. If I choose slippers just so the flats and the pumps won't feel bad if I chose one over the other, I end up miserable and the pumps and the flats will abandon me to be bought by someone else.



And now, I'm nearing the cashier's desk. I have the pumps on my left hand and the flats on my right. No decision yet. I still need that deciding factor and it's still not available for the regular consumer. No SALE sign up yet. I need the right constitution and state of mind or else, I'll mess up big time. And walking with the wrong pair of shoes is always a pain.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nina!
    This is such a cute post. You were able to talk about a universal experience (finding a job), in your own upbeat, personal, fashionista style. :D

    If you don't mind me asking, what is the new career you're considering? :)

    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Regina!
    :) I knew I had to edit this entry, but I felt it was right so I just left it as it is. This is exactly what my dilemma is right now, brain over heart. I LOVE my job but I THINK I should take the other one. Deciding between 2 offers is such an emotional stress for me.

    The other job is basically the same with what I'm doing right now but with more "room" for me to move. I can call the manufacturing plants and demand increase stock, make sure deliveries are on time ... stuff like that. More like supply chain type of work (like Uncle Tonet's job).

    Today will be decision day. Finally it'll be over.

    ReplyDelete